Hopi & Navajo Spirit Journey:
Circles of sharing with Hopi & Navajo wisdom keepers
Spirit journey, 1 to 3 days, to Hopi & Navajo with personalized circles of sharing, blessings, insight experiences. Enter these worlds with a depth of understanding about their lands and culture with Sandra Cosentino (who has more than 3 decades of experience sharing in friendship and respect with Native peoples, leading cultural journeys/field programs and Sedona insight retreats).
Please see new article: Circles of Connection in Hopi & Navajo Spiritscapes
Arkan Lushwalah of Peru speaks of the power of actions from humble hearts being used with intention to bless and honor all of Creation and for continuance of life in The Time of the Black Jaguar:
Through ceremony and prayer, ancestral peoples generated energy that they say “has to always be circulating, moving in small and big circles, for all life to always stay alive and full of the original vitality of the light of Creation.”
See more in Sandra’s blog article:
Honoring Earth: Connecting with the Life Forces Heart to Heart
Spirit journey bringing you into Hopi & Navajo circles of connection…
- ++ Pre-trip Sedona programs with universal earth-spirit and mystic insight practices, and ceremony to deepen your understanding when sitting in circles with your Native hosts.
- ++Guided Hopi and/or Navajo Spirit Journeys for summer solstice, fall festivals time and can be arranged at other dates, 1 – 3 days.
- ++Guided 3-day Mystic Vision Retreat to Canyon de Chelly and Hopi following 1 day mystic nature, shamanic journey and ceremony seminar in Sedona
- ++Independent Traveler option following 1 day Hopi Spirit Journey to bring you into deeper connections and then you extend with your own personalized exploration for another 1 – 3 days that I plan for you and support with maps, cultural knowledge and tips and Hopi and Navajo wisdom keeper guide reservations.
While most of us in western cultures did not grow up with direct access to our tribal heritage wisdom, we still carry an innate sense of belonging from these ancestral roots. We can free this in-dwelling wild connectedness to life through direct experience of the natural world and some inspiration from Native peoples who still carry a world-view and cultural expression from pre-industrial times and sharing our stories/life journey in circles.
See blog article: Freeing Our Indigenous Soul
2017 Scheduled Programs
For 3 or more people
These programs (described below) can be arranged at other dates–please email for more information.
- September 24 – 25: 2-day Hopi & Navajo/Canyon de Chelly Fall Equinox Spirit Journey
- October 4 – 7: Sedona Nature-Soul-Vision outdoor day 1 +seminar + full moon Navajo Canyon de Chelly Mystic Vision Spirit Journey and Hopi Spirit Journey
- Oct. 21-22: 2-day Hopi Spirit Journey celebrating feminine energies of harvest season
- Nov. 24 – 25: 2-day Hopi Spirit Journey celebrating the spirit of Thanksgiving
June 24-25: Summer Solstice 2-day Hopi Spirit Journey
Please scroll down for more Hopi and Navajo cultural information below the tour descriptions and links to related Earth Spirit blog articles.
Hopi Spirit 1-day spirit journey
can be scheduled year round, weather permitting
Hopi lands are pregnant with prayer from thousands of years of ceremonies. If you enter with a sense of humble openness without expectation, you may find that the subtle vibrations of place, language, songs, culture help awaken a sense of your innate inner connection to ancestral wisdom. Sandra Cosentino
Sandra has more than 3 decades of sharing friendship and respect with Hopi people and brings you into their world with a depth of understandings so you can absorb more while there. She draws from a depth of experience leading mystic insight retreats and earth-spirit ceremonies. This is a customized trip to include special circles and a longer route not normally available on a day trip. 12 hours–a very full day!
Leave Sedona 7:30 am, drive to far western side of Hopi (2.25 hours)
- You will experience special circles with warm-hearted Hopi wise people:* personal sharing and prayers for your well being with a Hopi traditional healer and his family around the fire at an outdoor site–also see their corn and bean fields and learn how growing these ancestral crops is embedded within the Hopi way of prayer, gratitude and ceremony.
* traditional Hopi lunch in a home and learning more about art in relation to ceremonial life.
* we will attend a ceremonial if open and available (the major times of year for this are June, July, September and October.
* see villages on all 3 mesas as time allows–a big day!
* blessing circle and songs at a home of Hopi hostess. You will absorb a lot by just being in the flow with her. She does not talk about initiated secrets, but speaks of the Hopi world view and dedication to offering their prayers throughout the year working with the cycles of the year.
*guided insight journey led by Sandra to evoke deeper personal understandings for participants
- 5 – 7:30 pm, Return to Sedona area on a different route
$320 per person with 4 people + gratuity to healer.
Includes transportation, guides, lunch in a home, program, reference packet.
with 3 people, cost is $400 each + gratuity to healer
with 5 people, cost is $260 each + gratuity to healer
discounted rate available for larger group with you also providing transportation.
Hopi Spirit 2-day spirit journey
- Oct. 21-22, 2017: 2-day Hopi Spirit Journey celebrating feminine energies of harvest season
- Nov. 24 – 25, 2017: 2-day Hopi Spirit Journey celebrating the spirit of Thanksgiving
- June 24-25, 2018: 2-day Hopi Spirit Journey celebrating Summer Solstice
Can be scheduled year round, weather permitting–a deeper level of connection and experience than the 1 day journey
- Day 1 as shown in Hopi Spirit 1-day journey above except lunch will be on own, Hopi feast dinner (included) followed by sharing circle with songs, participatory movement. Plus we go to a large backcountry rock art site with a knowledgeable Hopi guide who shares insights into ancestral worldview (if 5-mile gravel road conditions allow).
- overnight on own at Hopi inn (about $100) or camping option at Hopi hostess field ($20, I can loan you a tent.)
Spend more time with Hopi host(s) with morning prayers to sun, blue corn pancake breakfast in a home, personal sharing and insight circle.
Make a gourd rattle with Hopi artists
Historic Walpi village tour (if open).
Lunch on own at historic Keams Canyon.
See site where your hostess digs her Hopi clay from the earth plus she explains how she processes the native clay and makes her pottery (you can mold you own own clay piece).
- Return to Sedona in late afternoon
Cost: $700 per person with 4 people + gratuity to healer, includes transportation, guides, dinner and breakfast in a home, program, reference packet. Does not include lodging, meals not listed . $800 each with 3 people.
$600 each 5-6 people (2 people will drive in caravan with us in their own vehicle).
Group rates for larger groups providing transportation.
2-day Hopi & Navajo Spirit/Canyon de Chelly spirit journey
available spring through fall (more in depth as a 3 or 4-day journey)
Sept. 24-25 – Navajo-Canyon de Chelly and Hopi Spirit Journey celebrating Fall Equinox
Sandra has more than 3 decades of sharing friendship and respect with Hopi and Navajo people and brings you into their world with a depth of understandings so you can absorb more while there.
Canyon de Chelly’s powerful presence opens your heart, energizes you and reflects light back to you. Navajo legend says it was designed as an earthly place of divine connection at the time when supernaturals still walked the earth.
8 am – noon: morning drive from Sedona to Chinle with intro to Navajo culture and songs
12 – 3:30: Navajo food lunch (on own at local cafe), connection with sacred sites from the rim, set up camp or check into hotel (lodging not included)
4 – 9 pm: Experiences with our Navajo guide in the canyon:
–jeep tour into canyon
–Songs, blessings, participatory dance
–Fire blessing ceremony
–Moonlight jeep ride out of canyon
Sandra will guide a visioning insight journey to the drum to connect spirit of place.
(Bring food with you for evening meal–we will pick up items at Navajo deli, on own)
9 – 10:30 am drive to Hopi with intro to Hopi culture and songs
Hopi lands are pregnant with prayer from thousands of years of ceremonies. If you enter with a sense of humble openness without expectation, you may find that the subtle vibrations of place, language, songs, culture help awaken a sense of your innate inner connection to ancestral wisdom.
10:30 – noon: See Hopi villages at 1st and 2nd Mesa, stop at a special trading post.
12 – 2 pm: Hopi feast dinner (included) followed by sharing circle with female Hopi hostess with songs, fall equinox blessings, participatory movement.
2 – 5:00 pm: Visit back country rock art site with very knowledgable male Hopi guide. Also see old Oraibi, the oldest continuously occupied village in North America.
5 – 8 pm: pick up snacks at Hopi grocery and drive back to Sedona
Cost: $730 per person with 4 people. Includes transportation, guides, Hopi feast lunch, program, reference packet, entry fees. Does not include lodging, meals not listed . $840 each with 3 people.
$620 each 5-6 people (2 people will drive in caravan with us in their own vehicle).
Group rates for larger groups providing transportation.
4-day Mystic Vision Retreat – Spirit Journey:
Day 1: Sedona 8-hour Nature, Soul & Vision outdoor seminar +
3-day full moon Canyon de Chelly-Navajo and Hopi Spirit Journey
Oct. 4 – 7
Can be scheduled year round, weather permitting
Sedona Mystic Nature Shamanic Journey + Earth and Sky Speak to Us + Honoring Ways Earth-Spirit Seminar + Ceremony, will include introduction to Vision Quest practice & making 4 direction emblems, 8 hours at beautiful, private site on Oak Creek with several labyrinths and medicine wheels. This will provide a basis of skills we use while at Hopi and Navajo plus give you earth-spirit experiences that will help you absorb on a deeper level from our Native hosts.
- overnight in Sedona on own
morning: 4 hours
Drive to Canyon de Chelly on Navajoland with stop at Painted Desert overlook, Navajo cultural introduction and music enroute
- midday: Earth-Spirit Connections from the Rim of Canyon de Chelly at sacred sites, lunch (on own) and museum quality Navajo gift shop in old trading post building
- Full Moon evening: Fire blessing Ceremony & songs with our Navajo wisdom keeper host and 2 hour solo vision circle on canyon rim. Our Navajo host calls you back with Navajo flute song for closing circle.
Here in the Colorado Plateau country, a magical region lifted to the sky, the stars are a constant, abiding presence. High altitudes, transparent atmosphere, wide spaces of crystalline rock bring the stars into our nightscape. Comforting, reassuring, tantalizing, felt as an essential part of our inner landscape. Sandra Cosentino
- overnight on own: hotel (about $135 + tax) or campground options (about $20) in Chinle or on rim at Navajo run campground (tent loan available)
- Day 3: dawn prayers and hike (on own) on well graded canyon trail with 600 feet elevation change–solo nature communion time (you do not have to go all the way to the bottom).
11 – 3 pm Jeep tour into Canyon de Chelly with Navajo wisdom keeper. Attune with the spirit of the canyon as you wind through the deepening red cliff walls. You will see rock art, ancestral Puebloan cliff houses and Navajo homes-sheep-horses of today. We will share a Spirit program at his private site with sharing, and sand painting demonstration, insight journey.
- 3:30 – 5 pm: drive to Hopi with cultural introduction enroute
5 – 8 pm: Hopi feast dinner followed by blessing circle with songs with Hopi wisdom keeper. You will absorb a lot by just being in the flow with her. She does not talk about initiated secrets, but speaks of the Hopi world view and dedication to offering their prayers throughout the year working with the cycles of the year.
- overnight on own at Hopi inn (about $100) or camping option at Hopi hostess field ($20, tent loan available.)
Day 4: Hopi
- You will experience special circles with warm-hearted Hopi wise people:
* personal sharing and prayers for your well being with a Hopi traditional healer and his family around the fire at an outdoor site–also see their corn and bean fields and learn how growing these ancestral crops is embedded within the Hopi way of prayer, gratitude and ceremony.
* traditional Hopi blue corn pancake breakfast in a home and learning more about art in relation to ceremonial life.
* we will attend a ceremonial if open and available (the major times of year for this are January, June, September and October.
* see villages on all 3 mesas as time allows–a big day!
Return to Sedona area by evening
Cost: $1,320 per person with 4 people + gratuity to Hopi healer, includes transportation, guides, dinner and breakfast in a home, program, reference packet. Does not include lodging, meals not listed . $1,650 each with 3 people.
$1,180 each 5-6 people (2 people will drive in caravan with us in their own vehicle).
Group rates for larger groups providing transportation.
Navajo at Canyon de Chelly
Navajo people are hardy, at home out one the land and are known for their ability to adapt to change. Navajo people believe that the Creator placed them on Colorado Plateau region land between four sacred mountains and that the patterns in the stars are patterns in us.
Canyon de Chelly was designed as an earthly place of divine connection at the time when supernaturals still walked the earth according to Navajo legend. We invite connection with the unseen Holy Wind, or inner form of all life that connects and flows between the stars, us and all of life.
“Each being is infused with its own spirit, or ‘inner form’, which gives it life and purpose within an orderly and interconnected universe. The interrelatedness of all creation is recognized through daily prayer offerings and an elaborate system of ceremonies. The purpose of Navajo life is to maintain balance between the individual and the universe and to live in harmony with nature and the Creator.” Mary T. Begay
Navajo ceremonies are done at private residence areas and visitors are rarely allowed.
We honor the ancient spiritual presence of the Puebloan ancestors of the today’s Hopi people who lived here beginning at least 2,000 years ago and built the spectacular cliff dwellings that were abandoned by 1300 A.D. and the Navajo Holy Ones and Navajo people of today who are present here too.
Hopi: Holders of Ancient Tradition
Hopi are respected and known around the world as a people who dedicate their life to maintaining balance for Mother Earth and all peoples. We will visit mesas, villages and homes. Get to know people who live in both their ancient world and the American world of today. This is not just a tour, but a real and personal time with sincere, reverent and warmhearted people. You will meet people whose life revolves around the ancient Hopi traditions.
You absorb an essence, make personal connections in informal discussions on Hopi life, ceremonial cycle, importance of nature and corn and topics of concern right here and now. These direct experiences fill you with a sense of how prayer, reverence and connection to nature as a living presence imbues all aspects of life.
Stoically maintaining traditional ways of thought, family, and religion even in the face of so much change, these mindful people are seeking ways to balance these traditions with issues they face about preservation of lands and their ancient way of life while living in the world of today. We come as the welcomed, respectful and respected visitor and leave being part of a circle of friends fresh with inspiration for our own life.
We learn of the importance of renewing life and growing corn as the center of the ceremonial cycle. Year round, traditional activities take places in the villages. When available, we will respectfully attend.
Sedona Earth-Spirit Options
Enrich your Native spirit journey with Sedona programs to deepen Earth-Spirit understandings, learn how to work with ceremony and intention, and shamanic insight work to connect with spirit helpers and the energies-callings that are present in your life:
- Mystical Nature Shamanic and Earth Energy Seminars in Nature
- Circle of Power Drum Healing Ceremony and Teaching
- Sunset-Stars Nature-Sacred Circle
- Earth and Sky Speak to Us and Honoring Earth seminar
- Insight Sessions
- Personalized Be Your Own Seer Retreats
- Sedona Vision Quest Retreat
- Sacred Lands Seminar–with insights about Sedona, Grand Canyon, qualities of sacred places, how to enter and connect, study packet.
- Spirit of Sedona Circle
Related Blog Articles in the Path of Direct Knowing Earth-Spirit Series
- Shamanic Journey in Today’s World:
Direct Experience with the Sentient Universe–article
- Power Animals Bring Gifts of Vibratory Infusion–article
- Nature Mysticism—article
- Attention–A Core Mystical Perception Skill—article
- Conscious ReCreation: Instigating the Next Becoming—article
- Honoring Earth: Connecting with the Natural Life Forces Heart to Heart—article
- The Will of the Heart, Earth Energies and Vision—article